Friday, March 2, 2012

Coast Salish Weaving Workshop



“With every beat of my heart, my fingers dance and stir memories almost lost. Grandmother’s and Aunt’s whisper their knowledge to my soul  - encouraging, nourishing, nurturing. For their weaving is in me. With every warp and weft, they tell me so.”       

Jessica Casey

The Sunshine Coast Museum and Archives celebrates the traditions of the Coast Salish people with this 2.5 day weaving workshop, facilitated by Jessica Casey. You will learn the basic skills of weaving and over the course of the weekend, complete a wool shawl to take home. Ms. Casey is a self taught weaver of Coast Salish and Portuguese decent, born and raised in Egmont, B.C. Check out her website Spirit Found for more information and photos: http://www.spiritfound.ca/index.htm

The workshop starts on Friday evening, March 23rd, when you will warp up the looms from 6pm to 9pm. Saturday, March 24th and Sunday, March 25th will be full days of weaving from 10am to 4pm. The cost of the workshop is $300 and includes all the supplies necessary to weave your shawl. You do not need to prior experience in weaving to attend.  

To pre-register, please contact the Sunshine Coast Museum & Archives at 604-886-8232.
For a good overview on the history of Coast Salish weaving go to:  http://coastsalishweaving.com/weaving-history/

1 comment:

  1. I would verry much love to learn to weave the coast salish style but i think its to late for me to sign up for a weaving class, would there be any chance of having a weaving class during the summer? I would be very excited to have the chance to do coast salish weaving, pluss since I live near surrey, BC i would be willing to make the trip to the Sunshine Coast Museum. you can E-mail me at aboriginalomar@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think...